With the 2021 federal budget just around the corner, now is the time to remind members of Parliament how they can make a difference to the countless Canadians who rely on charities that enrich the fabric of our lives as well as provide essential services.
Unfortunately, too many organizations in our sector are struggling not only to meet the increased demand for services, but simply to survive. Some have already had to close their doors, further impacting those who are most vulnerable in our communities.
The government can help charities and nonprofits across our country by:
- Extending emergency support programs;
- Making a direct financial investment in community organizations; and
- Exploring programs that encourage donations to charities.
Take Action. It’s time to remind the government how it can help. You can help in the following ways:
- Contact your MP. It’s quick and easy and will make a difference.
- Encourage your colleagues, family and friends to contact their MP.
- Submit or re-submit a brief. Our sector colleagues at Imagine Canada have prepared a comprehensive toolkit.
- Participate in the budget survey.
The two key messages we aim to share with the government are a) investing in our sector and b) eliminating the capital gains tax on donations of private company shares and real estate.