Dear AFP Greater Vancouver Members,
Your Government Relations committee is pleased to share with you an update about recent advocacy work on behalf of the membership base.
Federal advocacy update:
- Across the country members of AFP Canada continue to advocate on your behalf for the creation of a dedicated secretariat for the non-profit sector.
- Our sector contributes $169 Billion annually to the economy and employs 2.4 million Canadians yet is one of the largest sectors without representation in government.
- In British Columbia, our sector contributes $24.3 Billion and employs 331,000 British Columbians.
- Since launching in October, we have held 25 meetings with MPs and Ministers across Canada and I am happy to inform you that our province is leading the charge.
- We have been invited to present in front of the Liberal Pacific Caucus sometime in the new year, we have learned that several members are supportive of this initiative.
- We are planning to meet with several other Liberal MPs as we enter 2023.
- We recently hosted two MLAs at our National Philanthropy Day, hopefully you were able to attend to hear from Niki Sharma – the Parliamentary Secretary for Community Development and Non-Profits. We also hosted Kelly Green MLA Richmond-Steveston, who has an interest in our sector.
- In Victoria, you may know that David Eby recently became the new Premier of the province and has confirmed that he will be shuffling his cabinet on Thursday December 7th.
- We believe that this will only be a minor shuffle and should not impact our ongoing advocacy work with the Parliamentary Secretary for Community Development and Non-Profits.
- Your committee will follow this closely to determine if the mandate letter for this secretariat has changed to determine any finetuning that might be required.
- Our written submission for BC Budget 2023 seems to have been well received by the Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services. Our chapter received a specific mention in the Report on Budget 2023 Consultation (Pg. 96).